Sunday, April 29, 2007

Happy Birthday to Chi!

My morning was uneventful. Chi and I decided to meet up again. His birthday was coming up and I had told him I would buy him dinner so we scheduled to meet up at Gangnam. And I was 40 minutes late! Oops!! *very ashamed* I think he was pretty pissed but tried to be nice and play it off. So the first we needed to do was get him fed so he would be less angry. We couldn’t find the place at first but at least I broke the mood by almost falling on my face. Woohoo! Go, me!! He insisted that I made an oral farting noise as I proceeded to catch myself mid-fall but I think he was just making shit up. *embarrassed…*

Dinner was super yum! It was soba but with udon noodles. We also had fish katsu. That was REALLY good. And I don’t even like fish! We walked around a bit and looked at all the little vendor carts then went to a coffee shop. Hmm…Starbuck’s knockoff maybe? *quizzical look* The logo looked similar, it had ‘star’ in its name (ProwStar) and they served…freddachinos?!? Oh, lordy. Couldn’t they have gotten just a bit more creative?

Chi and I had ourselves another insightful conversation that led to dual headaches. *throb* So after a few hours, we perused the vendor carts once more. I ended up with three glitter headbands (that I will probably never wear), a pair of brown earrings (there is a possibility I might wear those) and a SUPER CUTE green rock bracelet that will be the reigning queen of all my accessories. (Yes. All five of them.) *doing a mock cheerleading routine in my head* By then I was in dire need of fortification. I am not a shopper at heart.

We had dukkbokki on the street. It was a little too spicy but I think I was handling it ok. *tears streaming down my face* Then a loud noise assaulted my ears. It was some Korean boy trying to impress his friends by speaking English like some sort of L.A. gangster. It was sort of funny in that he made them stop at the stand we were eating at and practically forced them to eat by screeching obscenities like “This is the fucking shit, yo! Damn. You gotta try this shit. It the fucking BEST!!” *paused mid-bite, startled*

We quickly finished up and left before the boy was forced to make his companions ingest more food just to stay at our cart. I was on the hunt…ice cream was on the top of my list. By this time, night had fallen and all the drunks were out in the streets, trying to make their way home. Or to another bar. Sometimes it’s hard to tell. Chi had paused to light a cigarette when I espied a pair of men weaving down the street. Unfortunately, Chi’s back was turned and he missed the unfolding drama.

As I stood there, watching open mouthed, they continued to make their haphazard way in our general direction. Their upright position seemed only possible due to the arms they had looped around each other’s shoulders when, all of a sudden, one of the men straightened up and threw off the other man’s arm. He then strode off with purpose into the convenience store I was standing in front of with no second glance back at his friend. (Dare I call him the man’s friend?!?) In the meanwhile, the second man had no chance to prepare himself for this sudden lack of support and had promptly fallen over onto this back!!

He actually laid there, floundering for a full minute, with a confused look on his face as if he had no idea what just happened or how he had ended up on the ground. *struggling not to burst into hysterical giggles* He stood up, completely pissed off. But the problem was, he had no idea where his companion had gone to since he had been on the ground for the most part. He glared angrily at the general populace, who was paying him no mind except for me, and staggered around a bit until his friend reappeared. Then they wandered off together like nothing untoward had occurred. *mouth hanging open in amazement*

Although Chi was quick to reprimand me for staring as well as bursting into loud laughter as soon as the men were out of sight, he was sorry to have missed it. *laughs* We did finally get me my ice cream before I caught a cab home. It was enough excitement for one evening! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHI!!

No comments: