Friday, April 27, 2007

The eating machine

I was still asleep this morning when Matt called. Exceedingly annoyed by the ringing sound in my ears, I woke up to realize that my grandmother was trying to answer the phone. Shit. The phone here is a little retarded. It’s really hard to click the button to answer the phone and since it will continue to ring once or twice after you’ve answered, sometimes you end up hanging up on the person because you click again thinking it didn’t work the first time. Does that make sense?!? And that is what happened. Oops! Luckily, he called back.

Afterwards, blogging and milk took up the rest of my morning. Who am I kidding? Once I resigned up for MySpace, it started taking over my whole life! *watching in amazement as the hours roll by* Sook Mo #1 called to say that Jung Min would be out of school early this evening so I should make an effort to be at the shoe shop by 5pm. I was to bring a small assortment of personal belongings in order to spend the night. The bribe: going to the early morning market the following day. I took the bait.

Now I know how my family works. And the reality of the situation was that Jung Min probably wouldn’t be home anywhere near the time Sook Mo said she would be. So I played around on the interwebs for a little while longer then moseyed on out of here. I made it to the correct subway station by about 630pm and then had to wait for the village bus. It took FOREVER! For whatever reason, all the buses in the city seemed to roll by except the one that I needed. So by the time it came, a huge crowd was trying to pack themselves into a ‘bus’ that was actually an over-sized van!

Screw that. I wasn’t going to wait for the next one. So I caught a cab. And THEN I found, to my utter delight, that some bird had crapped on my backpack. *my forced look of utter delight* Joy… I arrived at 7pm and was not at all surprised to find that Sook Mo was the only one there. But the tragedy was, none of the cousins would be home until close to midnight. *trapped with only a book to read* (But thank god I had that book!) And then the feeding frenzy began. *groans*

I had eaten a fairly large and rather late lunch prior to my departure for the shoe shop. Sook Mo, not taking that into account even though I mentioned it a multitude of times, insisted that I must be hungry. After not so successfully putting her off for an hour, I caved in a let her order me the black noodles. She asked me if I wanted the large size to which I emphatically answered, “NO!” But I think she got it for me anyway. *cries* About an hour after that, I was unwillingly dragged to the supermarket to pick out snacks. Dutifully, I went about my business.

Once we got back to the store, I tried to eat some of the goodies but found that I could only fit about a bite or two since I was so FREAKING full! *miserably shoving food into my mouth* And then she had the GALL to ask me if I was hungry every ten minutes for the next hour. *cries* Magically, at some point later that evening, she produced a bag of soondeh. I don’t know where she got it from because I didn’t see her leave the store or see anyone come in. But it was fresh because it was hot! *SO confused and a little scared* She seemed sorely disappointed that I could only choke down two bites and gave up for the time being. *relieved*

Finally, we locked up the store for the evening and headed to their apartment. As soon as we got back, everyone started coming home. YAY! We were all having a good time catching up when Sook Mo pulled out the watermelon! *pretending to eat while slipping food over to the cousins* By then it was almost 1am, I was nearly comatose from being fed for over 5 hours straight and we needed to get up at 430am to go to the early morning market SO we all went to bed. *still miserably full…*


No comments: