Saturday, May 5, 2007

STOP. BREATHING!!

Gah… Have you ever been so IRRITATED by a person that even the way they BREATHE pisses you off? *running in circles of mad frustration* I seriously, seriously detest my uncle. (That would be Sam Chon #3, the one visiting from China.) There are a number of reasons, which I’m not going to get into because my blood pressure would probably go through the roof, but let me get on with my blog. *forced smile*

Chi and I had planned to meet at Ichon station before going to Yongsan to catch a movie. My uncle was on the way out to wherever he was going and wanted to tag along because he didn’t know how to get to the subway station from the apartment. Grudgingly, I agreed. Then Emo decides that we should take her car instead so I got to spend a lovely 45 minutes, trapped in a small space, listening to the irritating way that he breathes! The only upside being, I actually arrived ten minutes EARLY. Chi was so surprised that he wasn’t prepared and arrived ten minutes late. (He must have thought that I would be late for some reason…)

I began to come to the realization that maybe my ice cream obsession was getting out of hand when Chi finally showed up. Since I had been waiting in front of the supermarket, I thought I would buy one to munch on to pass the time. Chi’s first remark upon arrival was, “Hey! I was going to buy you an ice cream.” *blinks* Do I really eat ice cream THAT much? *perusing through past blogs* Hah! No wonder I’ve gained over ten pounds in the past month. But I’m not giving it up! NEVER!! I don’t know when I’m coming back so I have to stock up. *pleading for understanding*

Anyway, we got to Yongsan and proceeded to take a number to buy our movie tickets. *questioning look* It was like being at the DMV but with a much shorter wait. Our movie of choice: Spiderman 3. Um, yeah. *embarrassed* But to be honest, there wasn’t really anything else to see. It had the potential to be good, right? We had a couple of hours before the movie started so we decided to have lunch. YAY! *so hungry* We went to a Japanese place and Chi had soba while I had sushi. It was pretty damn mediocre. Oh, well.

We wandered around and looked at different stores. *screams in excitement* Oh my god! They had the SARS masks!! *happy dance* (Ok, in reality, they are not masks for SARS. But I think that’s the image Americans carry in their heads because they’ve only seen the masks in that context. People wear them when they’re sick in order not to spread their cold. Another reason being, in the spring, a wind blows in from China with a lot of grit. It has been known to cause lung infections so people wear the masks to prevent crap from getting into their chests. ANYWAY…) They were so cute that I had to buy a couple. Ok, ten. *innocent look* I’m going to start a new fashion craze in the States. *laughs*

We split a yummy strawberry bingsoo before heading into the movie theatre to grab out assigned seats. Yes. They assign movie theatre seats in Korea. *startled* In any case, the movie was ok. There was just so much crying that I wanted to pull my hair out at times but I refrained. Afterwards, we walked the entire way back to Ichon. (Puhahaha, I make it sound like a long way. It’s only one stop on the subway.) We had chicken again and talked. Then we walked to the Han River and talked some more.

It was interesting, exasperating, provoking and enlightening. In struggling to try and verbalize my opinions as well as defending them heatedly, I cried a lot. Not to blame Chi, I would have cried anyway. It just made me realize how much I missed having someone who just understands me. Or who listens to what I have to say without making me feel judged but is still able to express opinion. I miss knowing that no matter what I do or say or feel, that there is someone who loves me anyway.

I miss my dad.

No comments: