Monday, April 23, 2007

Subway comedies

This morning, I talked to Matt and then Christine called! She had emailed me a few weeks back saying she would only be in Korea for a short time but I didn’t know when or how long she was going to be here. It was kind of funny. I hadn’t seen her in years and now I was seeing her twice in two months. But she was only going to be here a week! *agog* That’s kind of a short trip even if she was stopping by someplace else on her way back home.

She said she was meeting up with Chi Hoon around 6pm and invited me to go eat dukbokki with them. YAY! I was going stir crazy just hanging out with the relatives. Especially because they kept ‘tsk tsk’ing me and saying how sad it was that I didn’t have any friends. *pulls hair out while yelling ‘but I DO have friends, dammit!’* It was a good thing that we weren’t meeting up until later though because I still had to go to lunch and then the dentist.

Oh lord…I hadn’t been to the dentist in EIGHT years. To be honest, I was a little scared about what they might find. *terror!* And from my previous recollection of Korean dentists, they don’t use novicain or anything when drilling cavities. *tries to sneak out the back door* The verdict: three cavities. Hey! Not bad when you consider how long it had been since I’ve been to the dentist, the fact that I never floss and I only brush my teeth once a day. Oh, wait. Does that reveal too much about my personal hygiene? *slightly embarrassed*

And so the drilling commenced with no additional fanfare. Once again, no pain-dulling meds. And this time, a surprising new addition! NO GLOVES!! If only I could get Korean prices in the States, I would be a much happier person. But then again, maybe that extra few hundred bucks I have to pay in the U.S. is to supply the surgical gloves…I don’t know. In the end, all I cared about was making sure the dentist knew I wanted the filling to match my teeth since gold fillings are popular here. Ugh…

Afterwards, I clarified that I was allowed to eat and then rushed out to the subway station. (Ok, so in reality they said I needed to wait two hours before I could eat but I figured it would take me an hour to get there and then another hour until we ate so I would be good! I hoped…) *sheepish grin while still spitting out shards of tooth* I met Christine at Ichon subway station and we went to Paris Croissant for a snack and a drink while we waited to Chi to get off of work. Gah…I LOVE Korean bakeries. If I wasn’t so scared I would be banned for life for taking a picture, I would. Maybe I’ll do it one of these days anyway.

It’s so hard to go buy American cakes and pastries after living in Korea. Everything is so…ugly. (Once I get a picture up, you’ll understand.) Not to say they taste good because it seems they’re more into looks than taste BUT STILL! Anyway, back to the story at hand. I LOVE CHRISTINE! I didn’t really hang out with her much in high school and I really regret it. She’s so cool! *faints in happiness* Besides, she’s awesome to go to strip clubs with. You can’t beat that.

Chi finally showed up after work and we immediately headed out to eat because he was “famished.” Oral bliss came in the form of dokbokki, soon deh and kimbab. *utter satistfaction* The place we went to seriously has the best food ever. I love it. Next on our list was noraebang. But due to our overly full stomachs there was a worry that the strain of singing could potentially cause projectile vomiting or something equally unsavory. And really, you don’t want to be wasting food like that. It’s a sin. Well, in my book anyway. (That’s why I don’t condone bulimia, people!!)

So we decided to take a break and just have a drink. We went to a very cute little Japanese place that wasn’t too far. I liked it because they had holes under the tables to put your legs into. So it was kind of like sitting at a chair except you’re on the floor so it’s COOLER. Way cooler. Trust me. I am awesome at judging the coolness of things. Chi and Christine each had a Japanese beer while I had my usual coke. It was fun just to talk and catch up. And of course, take pictures.

Then came noraebang. I have to admit, it’s not my most favorite because I’m paranoid about my crap Korean. I just kind of make up words as I sing along. *laughs* Anyway, it was fun and we were there for over an hour! Finally we figured we should start heading home since Chi had to get up early to go to work in the morning so we each went our separate ways. Awww…it was really nice to see them again. *sigh of happiness* I had a hysterical time getting back to the apartment.

As I was riding the subway, I kept finding my eyes drawn to this one woman that was taking a nap. I couldn’t figure out why until it hit me. *staring intently* (I know. I have a staring problem…) Her fake eyelashes! Normally, I don’t have a problem with fake eyelashes but these were particularly grotesque. They were abnormally short. Instead of lining her entire eyelid, it looked like she had only applied it only in the middle portion. And they were abnormally long and oddly spaced. In all honesty, it looked like she had glued centipede legs to her eyes. EW!!

The other incident that cracked me up was the wheelchair lift. I had seen them at the subway stations before but never in operation. I was in luck! As I was changing trains, I was able to witness a man in a wheelchair ride the lift down the stairs. *hysterical laughter bubbling to the surface* I guess when they turn it on, a song plays to alert the pedestrians in the area to keep out of the way. However, I want to know who the genius was that decided ‘London Bridge is Falling Down’ would be a good song to play. Puhahahaha.

No comments: