Sunday, March 11, 2007

Meet the Parents: Part I

Oh, the joys of meeting your significant other’s parents. Doesn’t it set off an alarm in your head? DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! And meanwhile, your stomach starts curdling until you feel like vomiting is imminent. And that’s even with the knowledge that they LIKE you. *grabs for the Rolaids* But the reality of the situation is, it has to happen sometime. You might as well face it like a man. Well, except that I’m not a man. I’m sure Matt is overjoyed. *laughs*

I honestly don’t know why I always get so worked up over certain situations. I mean, it’s important but it is SO important I need to get an ulcer over it? I don’t think so. I just need to learn how to relax. *deep breath* Do they offer classes for that at the local community college? Or maybe at a yoga studio? A Buddhist temple perhaps?? I guess I’m constantly worried that I’m going to make a bad impression and I want them to like me, dammit! If I could find a way to redirect my nervous energy, I bet I could make millions.

I had met Matt’s mom a few times over the years. It would have been odd if I hadn’t since this is the third time Matt and I have dated. Not to mention, we’ve known each other since fifth grade. (Yes, I stalked him even back then.) My vague recollection of Lesley put her in the ‘very nice’ category but due to my abnormal amount of anxiety associated with parental encounters, that’s all I really remembered about her. I think I had met her husband at one point. But it was very brief since Tim had been on his way out of the house to run errands or something of that nature.

So, I prepared myself by donning my battle armaments under a nice black top and a cute denim skirt and we headed off to meet the first set of Matt’s parents. (Jen’s definition of battle armaments: pantyhose and a bra, dear friends! These two items are scarce commodities in our heroine’s closet, partially due to her intense hatred of both. But really, nothing can bolster your courage like binding articles of clothing. Now, to disengage from talking in third person…) Argh! I’m so frustrated with myself! I don’t know why I was so apprehensive. I had a lovely time.

The first thing I noticed when walking into their house was the oh-so-appetizing scent of FOOD. Yum. I love me some food. Not that I was terribly surprised since we were there for dinner. *laughs* It was nice to see Lesley and Tim again and their house was absolutely charming. I was given an impromptu tour and I love the colors that they used. It made the whole house seem so warm and welcoming. Lesley is a quilter and it was impressive to see pieces of her art accenting every room of the house. Afterward, we congregated back in the kitchen area while Tim finished cooking.

We talked about everything; our travel plans for this summer, their travel plans with their plane, quilting and other artistic outlets, my random childhood, cooking and all sorts of other topics. I thought it was cute yet funny how Matt kept mouthing that he loved me when no one else was looking. *laughs* I wasn’t sure if he was just moved to do so or if it was his tactic to keep me from bolting. Dinner was delicious, chicken with a mushroom sauce with mashed potatoes and asparagus. *drool…* (Oops, sorry. I need to take a moment to mop up my keyboard.) Dessert was a concoction of chocolate paste and orange peel baked into a light cake. It was really good too!

All of a sudden, it was already time to go home. It had been such a nice visit and my original trepidation had quickly buckled under the dual attack of food and good conversation. I really like Lesley and Tim. Maybe the next time we see them, I’ll remember not to have the completely unnecessary panic attack. Either that or Matt could carry emergency food items for me in his pocket…

No comments: